Now is the time to prepare! The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1-Nov. 30. With winds over 75 mph, hurricanes can turn almost anything into a destructive projectile. When preparing your property for a potential hurricane, it is important to be extra cautious.
Here’s a list of things you can do to prepare your property for a storm:
- Keep your gutters clear and have an expert examine your trees for disease and/or problem branches.
- nstall storm shutters to protect windows from breaking during a storm.
- Replace stone or gravel landscaping with wood chips.
- Store any lawn furniture and barbecues away so they do not become projectiles in a storm.
- If you have a boat on a trailer, anchor it into the ground (somewhere away from your home, if you can).
- Make sure glass doors are made of tempered glass, and covered with shutters or plywood during a storm.
- Take photos to inventory what you have and photocopy any important documents you keep in your home. Store the photos and copied documents in a secure, second location.
Give us a call—we can help you ensure that you have the proper homeowners coverage and flood insurance policy to protect your property before a storm hits.